Shiny, Happy People

27 Nov

I am thankful for the day one of Chip’s colleagues, Amy Smith, walked into his office and pitched this hairbrained idea she had to help him shoot this video.  A professional video to capture his voice, his mannerisms and his personality for the kids to have one day.  It was her “specific thing” she was really good at and knew how to do well.

I am thankful the idea of this video really resonated with Chip as he and I had already been trying to think of different ways he could remain a voice in the kids’ lives that wasn’t totally flat and creepy, like filling out birthday, graduation, and wedding cards in advance.

I am thankful one of Amy’s professional contacts led her to the amazingly talented cinematographer Roy Heisler, who after reading our blog, decided he was on board and agreed to share his talents with us.

I am thankful for a successful collaboration of ideas at our house one night where we successfully defined the objective of the video–to not only capture Chip’s actual voice but also to capture his voice in this fight.

I am thankful Amy came back to us a couple of days later and said we had to put me in front of the camera with Chip to capture our marriage, our collective voice, our back and forths and interactions with each other as part of Chip’s legacy for the kids.

I am thankful for the professional, compassionate and fun-natured makeup artist and lighting crew who showed up at our house that day.

I am thankful Roy then had the idea to come back and shoot some B-roll of us one Sunday afternoon around the house.

I am thankful Amy and Roy were so inspired by the success of our video project that they decided to take it to an entirely new level and founded a nonprofit organization called The Legacy Mission, and that I get to share their website for the first time on the Team Kennett blog:

www.legacymission.org

I am thankful they have asked me to serve on the board and I can help pay it forward to other families.

I am thankful we all agreed, if we are able, to meet back up in ten years to shoot another video using the exact same format and questions.

Today, I am most thankful Chip, Joe, Crosby and I are all well enough to get on a plane and fly to Mississippi to spend Thanksgiving with my family.

All life is thanksgiving.  Remember to give thanks for yours.

– Sheila

Advertisements

19 Responses to “Shiny, Happy People”

1. Deb selmi November 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM #

I think that is such a fantastic idea!!! Go with it and have fun doing it! You all have a wonderful Tganksgiving!! Safe travels:)

2. Danielle November 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM #

This is beautiful. Happy Thanksgiving, Kennetts.

3. Kimberly Linnell-Infinger November 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM #

This is SO BEAUTIFUL and SUCH a WONDERFUL idea!!!*

4. Clete Johnson November 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM #

This is so profoundly wonderful. We love you and are deeply thankful for you. Clete and Ginny

5. Elizabeth Hadley November 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM #

That is so beautiful and I am SO excited for y’all to have been able to do that! Happy Thanksgiving! Safe travels! Say Hi to MS for me!!

6. Jeanne Ormsby November 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM #

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Thank you for sharing your life in your blog. Travel safely. Hugs to you all.

7. Kristine Johnson November 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM #

This is such a gift. My heart overflows with thankfulness as I listen to my kids watching TV together. Thank you for the reminder to be present in every moment and see the joy that is there. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

8. Dina November 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM #

So awesome and so true! Very hard to do, but I’m learning from you. Very thankful for you guys and wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving!

9. Mandy November 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM #

Beautiful. Poignant. Real. Love~

• Deb Roberts November 27, 2013 at 3:42 PM #

So beautiful and real. What a huge life lesson you are teaching all of us Chip and Shelia! God Bless you and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

10. Amy Smith November 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM #

Thank you for this amazing post and for the courage, humor and good will that you each brought to the project. We love and are thankful for you’all.

11. Bob Kelly November 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM #

Sheila and Chip, wishing you and your entire family a very blessed and Happy Thanksgiving! Loved the video! God Bless and enjoy life.

12. Donna mccormack November 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM #

So amazing! A testament to your sweet precious family!

13. Diane Rossi November 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM #

Love you guys! Hope you’re having a grand time with the family.
    I read the blog post – what a fabulous idea! Miss you.

14. Ron Winslow & Larkin Warren November 29, 2013 at 10:30 PM #

We vote you all meet again in ten years AND in twenty AND in thirty, etc etc etc.
    Beautiful children–all four of them…

• Mary Wason December 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM #

Wow!

15. Jana Whealdon December 12, 2013 at 4:28 AM #

What precious memories are seen and heard in the video. I am very thankful to see and hear you all through this video.

16. jenn December 15, 2013 at 10:31 PM #

Not sure how I missed this before Thanksgiving. What an absolutely amazing gift to you and the other families out there who are going to be able to have this now.

17. Sean A. Taylor May 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM #

That was awesome! Such a great idea, for not only the kids benefit, but yours as well!!

Best, Sean